The keto diet has been all the rage lately. It’s a low carb, higher protein and fat diet. Some people on keto believe that it can be a healthy and sustainable way of eating, and may even help fight against obesity, diabetes and some other related diseases.
Rhubarb is a low carb fruit that is full of fiber and antioxidants, it is a perfect snack for the carb-restricted diet. But instead of eating it plain, why not make some simple Low Carb Fruit Crisps? They are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings, and at only 2g net carbs per crisp, they are also a great way to lose weight.
Rhubarb is one of my favorite foods and I find it in abundance in almost all weather conditions in the UK. As well as the vibrant red color, it has a lovely taste, slightly tart with a hint of sweetness. I love making my own rhubarb crisps with the natural sweetness of the fruit enhanced by the delicious crunchy texture.
Rhubarb is back on the menu this summer, and it’s surprisingly low in calories! Sweet, somewhat sour, crumbly, and dense, this Recipe for Keto Rhubarb Crisps. It’s my new favorite way to eat rhubarb, and I’m sure it’ll become yours as well. The best part is that you may use frozen or fresh rhubarb, so you can enjoy this delectable dessert even in the dead of winter.
Frozen rhubarb is fantastic!
I was pleasantly impressed by how well frozen rhubarb worked in this recipe. We got the rhubarb fresh, but because we were traveling, we had to put it in the freezer to keep it from going bad. When I attempted to defrost it, I was suspicious because it was mushy and not as red as it should have been, and fresh always seems to be the best. Surprisingly, because it was already soft, it made for an even greater crisp. The rhubarb’s tenderness contrasts beautifully with the crisp, crunchy crumble topping! In this low-carb dessert, you can’t go wrong with fresh or frozen rhubarb.
Rhubarb Crisps with Low Carb
This rhubarb crisp recipe is the best of the best. At the very least, it’s a refreshing break from the typical cookies, brownies, and fat bombs. Make it a fun day for the whole family by going grocery shopping together, letting the kids mix and make the crumble, and finishing the night with a wonderful keto rhubarb crisp dish.
Recipe for Keto Rhubarb Crisps
Rhubarb compote with a buttery, sweet crumble on top.
6 person servings
Serving size (calories) 245kcal
Time to Prepare: 10 minutes
Time to prepare: 55 minutes
Topping for Crumbles:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for the topping.
- Whisk together almond flour, shredded coconut, flax seed meal, pecans, erythritol sweetener, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine the melted butter, vanilla, and stevia extract in a small mixing dish.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, incorporate the butter mixture into the almond flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Spread out evenly on prepared baking sheet and flatten gently with hands.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then stir gently. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for the filling. Combine water and chia seeds in a large mixing dish and soak for 5-7 minutes. Toss in the rhubarb, erythritol sweetener, and stevia extract until well combined.
- Fill a 9×13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish halfway with rhubarb mixture. Cover securely with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until rhubarb is soft and mixture is bubbling.
- Remove the filling from the oven and discard the foil. With your hand, break the cooled topping into pieces and arrange them over the filling to completely cover it. Warm the dish before serving. Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream if desired.
- Note: If you’re using frozen rhubarb, measure it while it’s still frozen and then thaw it entirely. Drain the liquid in a colander but do not push it out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is rhubarb good on keto?
Rhubarb is not good on keto.
Is rhubarb high in carbs?
Rhubarb is a fruit, not a vegetable.
Can you cook rhubarb without sugar?
No, rhubarb does not require sugar.